One of the most common diseases of the male genitourinary system is erectile dysfunction. Most men consider this disease a personal problem, which is not customary to talk about, and do not consult a doctor. Some of them think that erectile dysfunction is incurable. This is not so: in 95% of cases, erectile dysfunction can be cured. The main thing is to identify the cause of this illness.
Erectile dysfunction is not a disease as such but only a diagnostic symptom that signals the presence of more serious health problems, so you should immediately go to a doctor and get a check if you find yourself difficulties in achieving or maintaining an erection, the erection becomes weaker,the morning erection becomes less pronounced. Find out what methods of ED treatment you can use effectively and safely.
In fact, the factors leading to psychogenic impotence can be found in any man who suffers from this or that potency disorder, since failure in bed always brings stress on the psyche. Psychological impotence should not be a problem of only one partner, a woman also needs to know how to properly help her man. Treatment measures should be oriented towards such principles:
- Eliminate the causes that caused a decrease in sexual desire. At this stage, the man visits such doctors: andrologist, psychiatrist-sexologist, neurologist, endocrinologist and, possibly, a neurosurgeon.
- It is necessary to minimize and eliminate the psychological factor that triggered the trauma. An experienced sex therapist will help overcome the fixation syndrome and the neurosis of expecting failure, which occurs in the stronger sex after the erection fails.
- Men suffering from organic and psychoneurological diseases, which are accompanied by asthenic syndrome, are shown vitamin therapy, rehabilitation, physiotherapy. Of course, not in the last place is rational nutrition and medication correction.
Treatment of psychological erectile dysfunction should begin with the elimination of factors that led to psycho-social maladaptation. Failures that persecute a man from the moment of first sexual intercourse, speak about the lack of skills of sexual life, young people simply do not have the experience of communicating with the opposite sex. The psychologist together with the patient should discuss the portrait of the ideal partner, choose a model of behavior during intimacy, the most comfortable for a man and his woman.
The mechanism of action of medications is conditioned by the work of the nervous system, in which the neurotransmitters adrenaline, acetylcholine, oxytocin, and nitrogen oxide are involved. Pharmaceutical preparations affect their content in the blood, thereby regulating the potency. As oral drugs for sexual impotence for a long time, the means of different composition and principle of action were used:
- Serotonin reuptake inhibitors (Trazodone, Dapoxetine) are prescribed for impotence caused by depression or other affective disorders, as well as in combination with external medicines;
- Adaptogens (pantocrine, eleutherococcus, ginseng) indirectly affect the regulation of potency due to the general strengthening and tonic effect.
- Vasoactive drugs (xanthinol-nicotinate), improve blood circulation in the cerebral and coronary peripheral vessels;
- Dopamine receptor antagonists (apomorphine) affect the brain, stimulating the development of an erection;
- Vitamins, amino acids (Glycine, Enerion, Aevit);
- Phytopreparations (tentex-forte, koprivit, permixon, prostamol uno, prostanorm, speman);
- Alpha-adrenoblockers (Yohimbine) in correct dosages improves the circulation of the pelvic organs, improves the quality of sperm;
- Androgen testosterone, andriol, proviron, etc. are effective in cases of insufficient production of male sex hormones as part of hormone replacement therapy.
These drugs have a restoring effect with a frequency of about 30%, which is not much better than the placebo effect. However, as an auxiliary measure used in the treatment of psychogenic impotence.
This method of treatment is carried out with the help of vacuum action. The device is a safe external pump with a compression ring. With the help of such a vacuum-constrictor apparatus, a patient suffering from reduced potency and insufficient intensity of erection can solve sexual problems. To obtain noticeable results, it is enough for a patient to go through 4 to 10 sessions.
Principle of operation of the vacuum device: the design of the device includes an acrylic cylinder with a pump that is attached to the top of the penis. The compression ring is located at the opposite end of the cylinder. During the operation of the device, a cylinder and a pump create a vacuum. Being in a similar state, the sexual organ contracts, the blood flow is activated and a full erection arises. If, after carrying out the procedure of vacuum therapy, the patient wishes to perform sexual intercourse, he will need to leave the compressive ring to maintain a strong erection. The patient can leave the ring on the penis for half an hour.
Methods of treating impotence are improving day by day. Nowadays, the falloprosthesis is widely used. This surgical method is very complex and multifaceted.
A very skilled surgeon can perform the implant installation operation. In what cases is it expedient to install implants? In fact, there is little evidence. Usually, the operation is prescribed for arteries atherosclerosis, congenital or acquired cavernous fibrosis, scarring of cavernous bodies, Peyronie’s disease.
Sometimes, falloprosthetics are prescribed for men who, after trauma to the penis or pelvic organs, developed complications that led to the development of persistent erectile dysfunction. The operation itself is a very complicated process, as during the intervention it is possible to bring an infection. Therefore, doctors need to adhere strictly to the basic technology. Initially, the patient is destroyed by the cavernous bodies of the penis by means of bougie.
In the retropubic space and the scrotum, space is created for the installation of the pumping pump and reservoir. Before the procedure, the patient is assigned a comprehensive diagnosis, the purpose of which is to study all possible contraindications. To restore an erection, the patient is initially introduced spinal anesthesia. After this, the surgeon installs an implant inside the cavernous body of the penis. After the operation, the patient will need to stay in the hospital for 7 days under medical supervision.
Falloprosthesis is a very effective technique. The advantage of the operation is the fact that in 99% of the cases the outcome is successful. After the rehabilitation period, the patient no longer experiences erectile dysfunction. Another advantage is the fact that after installing the implant the patient does not need to use any drugs to enhance the potency. Falloprosthesis almost 100% guarantees a stable erection.
Alternative medicine for erectile dysfunction
- Nutritional supplements: The following nutritional supplements are used to improve erectile function: amino acid arginine, bioflavonoids, zinc, vitamin C, vitamin E and flaxseed meal. In addition, some patients suffering from erectile dysfunction, with a low level of dehydroepiandrosterone hormone, felt an improvement in erectile function after taking an auxiliary course of this hormone. However, since the safety of prolonged use of the hormone dehydroepiandrosterone has not been studied, most experts do not recommend it.
- Herbal remedies: It is believed that Asian ginseng and Gingko biloba can improve erectile function in men. However, consult your doctor before taking any herbal supplements to make sure that it will be safe for you.
- Acupuncture: This is an ancient Chinese method of treatment, which consists in the impact of thin metal needles on the biologically active points of the body. Acupuncture stimulates the body’s ability to fight diseases and disorders, correcting the “imbalances” in the body. Acupuncture has already benefited a certain percentage of men with impotence.
If you have a problem with erection, consult a therapist to determine the cause of the disorder and learn about possible therapies.