Erectile dysfunction in the elderly is a widespread problem. According to numerous studies, it was estimated that erectile dysfunction is much more common in men from 55 to 65 (25 percent) than those who are not yet 30 (1%).
Today, there are two possible explanations for the relationship between impotence and old age. The first one is that the development of the disorder leads to systemic adjustment, mainly at the hormonal level, as well as changes in the structure of the penis, not associated with other diseases. That is, impotence in this case is considered as part of the natural process of aging men.
The second one is that the risk of developing erectile dysfunction significantly increases if the patient has certain ailments. So, cardiovascular diseases, which are more often diagnosed in old age, significantly increase the likelihood of impotence.
Why does erectile dysfunction occur?
A new study shows that as men age, they face an erectile dysfunction. The results of the study show that impotence is more common among older men, and after 50, the sexual function is sharply reduced. Erectile dysfunction is the inability to achieve and maintain the erection necessary for the sexual satisfaction of both partners. In the past, doctors mainly referred to psychological problems as the cause of ED or, in the case of older men, the normal aging process.
Nowadays, urologists say that in 90% of cases the cause of permanent erectile dysfunction in men over 50 years old is physical factors. Researchers interviewed more than 31,000 health professionals 53-90 about their sexual function. They asked the volunteers to assess their ability for the past three months – without treatment – to achieve the erection necessary for sexual intercourse. Men with “weak” or “very weak” indicators were considered as such that they suffer from erectile dysfunction. Researchers also took into account other factors that may affect erectile function: smoking, alcohol, etc.
The results showed that age plays a major role in the development of impotence. The older the man, the more he is prone to impotence. The results demonstrated a “good” function in younger men and a gradual deterioration in the adult group. Most young men (74%) rated their sexual function as “good”; Only 10% of men over 80 rated themselves in this way. Only 12% of young men and about 25-35% of men over 50 reported moderate or severe problems.
- 2% first encountered impotence before 40 years old
- 4% first encountered impotence at the age of 40-49
- 26% first encounter impotence at the age of 50-59 years
- 40% first encountered impotence at the age of 60-69 years
Aging is a natural process, and it is logical that hormones after 50 are no longer produced in the same amounts as before. But, it happens that dysfunction is a consequence of serious diseases that appear in the elderly:
- In 80% of cases, the symptoms appear after 50 years. Erectile dysfunction as one of the signs of the disease.
- Plaques affect not only the vessels of the heart, but also the arteries of the penis. The influx of blood to the body slows down, which causes a poor erection.
- Smoking, drinking alcohol. Seriously affects even at the age of 30-35.
- Nervous diseases
- Prostatitis, urethritis, etc. After 35 and 40-ka frequent occurrence.
How to extend the joyful moments?
After all the necessary tests and examinations, the doctor at the clinic will prescribe the patient several effective methods for fighting erectile dysfunction, including:
- Phytotherapy – treatment with herbs and tinctures. It helps with erectile dysfunction associated with irregular eating and stress.
- Surgical methods – a means, including the procedure for restoring the function by opening the tissue of the penis.
- A psychologist’s help is a means of internal disclosure. In general, it is useful at any age, whether you are 30, 35 or more than 50, it does not matter.
- Hormonal therapy
- Intraurethral injection – the introduction of drugs into the urethra.
- Intracavernous injections – the introduction of drugs directly into the tissues of the penis. Used as a means of restoring an erection.
- Hormone therapy – in humans after 50 in the body is not enough androgens, so the intake of male hormones will be more useful than ever.
- Creams and ointments – funds applied to the penis by rubbing. Increase libido and restore blood flow to the cavernous bodies. It is useful even for people whose age has not crossed the age of 30.
- Acupuncture is almost like acupuncture. Stimulates certain energy points on the body. Normalizes the flow of energy and cures of dysfunction.
- Gene therapy is a new method, which is still rarely used in medicine. Inside the body are introduced genes, due to which substances are developed that serve to develop an erection. In impotents, often such genes are damaged, and the introduction of new ones replaces the weak ones, which again allows us to lead a healthy sexual life.
- Other methods: The penis traction tool is a very rarely used vacuum pump. Although, it brings a positive result. The essence of the method is that to give blood an influx to the cavernous bodies inside the penis of the male. The pump consists of a cylinder with a pump, which creates a negative pressure. A cylinder is put on a member of a man. The pump is then evacuated to a full vacuum. In view of this procedure, the penis comes into a state of severe erection. The compressing ring inside the pump is lowered to the base of the penis, the blood flow slows down and the signs of erection persist for half an hour.
- Also, prosthetics of cavernous bodies are used. Flexible prostheses are set in a certain position. The procedure is operational, but extremely undesirable. It is used as a remedy for the most extreme case, with acute symptoms.
As you can see, there are many ways and drugs to restore sexual health, erection after 50, and again feel a real man. First, you need to determine what is the cause of impotence and, depending on the outcome, seek treatment. In any case, dysfunction, even at an elderly age is not a verdict!